Wednesday 2 April 2008

Happy Birthday Mum

This is the birthday card I have made for my Mum (her birthday is Friday, but she doesn't read this and so I can post it now!) Last year I made her a really elaborate star card because she was having a really hard time - my 34 year old sister had just be diagnosed with breast cancer. This year things are much better as my sister has a clean bill of health now. However, I still needed a really good card for Mum. She buys a lot of cards from me and so knows most of my favourite layouts.
My friend Su got a really good deal on a set of the Sizzix Bigz serif letters and had offered to lend them to me sometime. I borrowed M and U and using the partial cutting technique (letting part of the die hang out between the plates - thank you Jay!) cut strips of very thick card in chocolate with an M or U at the end. This gave me a long strip of card with a shaped end. I put them together and trimmed 2 of them so that the letters were spaced correctly. I then used my bind it all to turn it into a book. I cut out more Ms and a U from Stampin Up paper which Su had kindly delivered with the letters and stuck these on to give more definition to the letters. The Stampin Up paper is gorgeous by the way, really thick and double sided too. best of all you get 2 of each sheet in the pack so I could safely cut into a sheet without having a panic attack! I used more of this paper to cut a sizzix Happy Birthday and also a daisy. I added a diamante and some ribbon to the spine.
I have been itching to use my bind it all and I was really pleased with the results. A smaller coil may have been better, but I only had the brown version in the ½ inch size. Now I just hope I can find an envelope to fit the card and that my Mum likes it!
I have added an embellished rectangle on the final M page for the message, but am not showing you a photo as I have already written on it!

No comments: